Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Spring2ACTion?
- What is the goal?
- How does it work?
- Who is behind it?
- How much of the donation will go to the nonprofit?
- Is there a minimum or maximum donation?
- Is there a limit to the amount an organization can receive?
- Do I need an account on Razoo to donate?
- Can I donate to Spring2ACTion on my smart phone?
- Can I make my donation early for Spring2ACTion?
- Can I fundraise for my favorite nonprofit?
- When individuals donate for Spring2ACTion, who will receive their information?
FAQs for Nonprofit Organizations
- Who is able to participate?
- Why should my organization participate?
- What does my nonprofit need to do?
- Is there a fee to participate?
- How can an organization receive donations?
- Do you have video tutorials that explain the site and how it works?
- How will an organization know who has donated to them?
- Do I need to issue a tax receipt to my donors?
- When will my organization receive the funds contributed?
- How can I find out more about Spring2ACTion?
What is Spring2ACTion?
Spring2ACTion is a 24-hour online event that provides a simple way to connect donors to the charitable causes they care about most and encourages them to take action. This virtual fundraising effort, hosted by ACT with the help of generous sponsors, will offer local nonprofits the chance to raise thousands of dollars for the benefit of all Alexandria.
Last year, 9,431 donors raised $1,276,909 for 129 nonprofits serving Alexandria. In 2016, our goal is to raise $1.5 million and engage 10,000 donors to give. To meet this goal, we need your help!
What is the goal?
The vision of Spring2ACTion is a community where every citizen contributes to our nonprofit organizations. There are three primary goals:
- Grow philanthropy – Create a fun and engaging way to learn about the critical issues impacting our community and inspire people to give
- Grow revenue – Bring new donors and develop a new funding stream to the organizations that make our community and its future strong
- Grow supporters – Educate the community on the positive impact Alexandria’s nonprofit organizations have on their lives.
How does it work?
On April 20, 2016, ACT will host Spring2ACTion, 24-hour giving event encouraging charitable donations through our online giving platform, hosted by Razoo.
ACT will provide toolkits, training sessions, outreach support, mass media and social media coverage to make it easy for all nonprofits to participate. Each participating organization will have an individualized web page to promote their cause. This web page can also be used for year-round online fundraising.
Individuals will be able to donate money to the nonprofit organizations of their choice on April 20, 2016. All donations are tax deductible and irrevocable. (Donations will not be refunded). Donors will receive a receipt for their gift. The nonprofit will receive contact information for each donor, unless the donor elects to remain anonymous.
Four leader boards will add a sense of competition and excitement during the build-up and event day. Additional cash grants will be awarded to top winners in each category for the day:
- Nonprofits that raise the Most Dollars
- Nonprofits that have the Most Donors
- Free Agent Fundraisers that have the Most Donors
To see additional prizes and rules, please click here.
The Razoo Foundation, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization which permits donors to advise a re-granting of their donations to other IRS recognized qualifying 501(c)(3) organizations, will accept the gifts and will then re-grant the monies to the nonprofits selected by the donors.
Who is behind it?
Spring2ACTion is hosted by ACT for Alexandria, a community foundation that seeks to turn ideas into action and resources into results. Learn more: www.actforalexandria.org.
How much of the donation will go to the nonprofit?
During the Spring2ACTion, the Razoo Foundation will retain 5.9% plus $0.30 per transaction for Razoo Foundation expenses and campaign costs (including credit card transaction costs), and 2.1% is retained by ACT for Alexandria for administrative expenses. Donors have the option to cover these fees during the checkout process, allocating 100% of their intended donation to your nonprofit.
Is there a minimum or maximum donation?
The minimum donation for Spring2ACTion is $10. There is no maximum donation limit for Spring2ACTion.
Is there a limit to the amount an organization can receive?
There is no maximum amount an organization may receive for Spring2ACTion.
Do I need an account on Razoo to donate?
No, you do not need to create an account to make a donation. However, if you plan to give multiple times during Spring2ACTion, creating an account means you only have to enter your credit card information once. Your account also collects your tax receipts in one location and enables you to track your donation, review the charities your support and schedule future giving.
Can I donate to Spring2ACTion on my smart phone?
Yes – this site is mobile friendly! Simply visit www.Spring2ACTion.org on your smartphone to browse all the amazing nonprofits participating.
Can I make my donation early for Spring2ACTion?
Yes! Starting March 20, donors will be able to make their Spring2ACTion donation in advance, while still having it count toward the giving day. Simply go to www.Spring2ACTion.org, search for the nonprofit you wish to support and make a donation.
Can I fundraise for my favorite nonprofit?
Yes! You can be a hero for the cause(s) you care about – we call these Free Agent Fundraisers! Alternatively, you can visit the Organization Page of any nonprofit listed on Razoo and click “Fundraise” to start the page creation process. Please note that in order to create a Fundraising Page you will be prompted to sign into your Razoo user account, or create one if you don’t already have an account.
Free Agent Fundraisers also have the opportunity to win up to $5,000 for their favorite nonprofit on a separate leader board. In order to add your fundraising page to the leader board, you must register here by Monday, April 4. To learn more, come to our Free Agent Fundraiser happy hour on Monday, March 7.
When individuals donate for Spring2ACTion, who will receive their information?
The nonprofit organization receiving the donation will receive the contact information for the donor, unless the donor chooses to make an anonymous donation. As the host of Spring2ACTion, ACT for Alexandria will also receive the information in order to send news and updates about Spring2ACTion related activities. We will not share your information.
FAQs for Nonprofit Organizations
Who is able to participate?
Nonprofit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations serving Alexandria are eligible to participate in Spring2ACTion.
Why should my organization participate?
- Raise funds for your organization
- Cultivate new donors
- Educate community members about your cause
- Reinvigorate lapsed donors
- Convert check-writing donors to online donors
- Demonstrate a unified, diverse, and strong voice to represent Alexandria’s nonprofit community
This campaign’s success will depend on our collective enthusiasm and implementation. We are asking nonprofit professionals, volunteers, businesses and citizens to bring their skills and experience to this effort.
What does my nonprofit need to do?
- Register My Nonprofit Create a landing page for your organization using the Razoo platform.
- Broadcast your campaign's message using existing communication networks.
- Utilize Spring2ACTion logo and other provided images and messages consistent with the branding guidelines.
- Secure matching grants and prizes to entice donors to your group.
- Recruit individuals to be Free Agent Fundraisers for your organization.
- Consider organizing an outreach event or community stunt to help further increase exposure for your organization.
- Think outside the box, be engaged and have fun!!
- For more tips, visit the Nonprofit Toolkit
Is there a fee to participate?
There is no fee to participate. All donations on Spring2ACTion.razoo.com are made to the Razoo Foundation, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization which permits donors to advise a regranting of their donations to IRS 501(c)(3) organizations. 100% of your online charitable gift is receipted and advised for regrant to your chosen charity. Razoo Foundation will retain 5.9% plus $0.30 of each donation made during Spring2ACTion to cover platform and credit card fees. An additional 2.1% of each donation made on Spring2ACTion will be retained at the time of disbursement for ACT for Alexandria’s campaign costs.
How can an organization receive donations?
If you are already listed on Razoo.com, you don't need to do anything except make sure your nonprofit's profile and page is updated and motivating. If your nonprofit is not listed on Razoo when you do a search, please email Razoo, at email@example.com for more information on how you can get listed.
Do you have video tutorials that explain the site and how it works?
Yes. You can view all our videos on our YouTube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/user/ACTionAlexandria
How will an organization know who has donated to them?
Organizations that have registered on Razoo can track donations in real time by logging-in to their Razoo account. Organizations will also receive an email notification for every donation. Nonprofits can download a detailed donation report at any time through their account to thank and follow-up with individual donors and tabulate donation value and number of donors. This .csv file can be used in Excel and is widely compatible with other spreadsheet applications.
Do I need to issue a tax receipt to my donors?
No, donations made through Razoo will be receipted from the Razoo Foundation. However, we do encourage you to send a thank you note to your donors letting them know how awesome they are!
When will my organization receive the funds contributed?
Normally, The Razoo Foundation will disburse monies on the 10th of the month following receipt of the advised donation. For the April 20, 2016 event monies will be disbursed by May 10th.
How can I find out more about Spring2ACTion?
Stay tuned to this website for more information and detail as the event draws close. You can also follow us on Twitter @Spring2ACT and "like" us on Facebook to stay updated. Spring2ACTion will be hosting training sessions for nonprofits to share tools, highlight matching grants and strategize together to make this day another one for the history books!
ACT for Alexandria can modify any restrictions or conditions if, in the sole judgment of the Board of Directors, such restriction or condition becomes unnecessary, incapable of fulfillment or inconsistent with the charitable needs of the community. As such, ACT for Alexandria reserves the right to deny or condition the distribution of prize grants if, in the judgment of its Board of Directors, such restriction or condition becomes necessary.